Friday, July 6, 2012

4th Abroad

I am sick.  I don't mean that dramatically, for once.  I mean I am physically ill.  You know, the kind where your body suddenly forgets that it knows which direction food is supposed to travel and you are freezing cold under layers of blankets. I can only imagine all the varieties of germs I am exposed to each day so it's a wonder it's taken this long to end up in this condition.  

It started on the 4th, just as our celebration was ending.  And what a fun celebration it was!  We had everything that makes for a great party--swimming in the pouring rain,  musicians playing instruments with electric cords submerged in water,  and the inclusion of a British friend...which offered a touch of irony.  Those weren't my favorite things about the day though.  There was another moment that took the cake.  (ugh..cake...hang on...)

A little bit before the guests were due to arrive, I stood outside with a group of workers who were helping me put on the shindig.  One of them asked me how many years we have of independence. They looked surprised when I told them 236.  Then they asked who had colonized America.  

That's how it started.  

I told them the whole story...well chunks of it anyway.  By the time I got to the part about how the well-trained British redcoats were defeated by an army of simple farmers and regular men, they all began to applaud!  

and that was the best part of the day.  Even now as I remember the enthusiasm in their faces and the clapping in excitement, I can almost forget that I am sick.  

almost....


No comments:

Post a Comment